Fire damage FAQ’s
Q: Why It is important To Board Your Home After Fire?
A: Emergency board up services are necessary. Glass windows, sliding glass doors, entry doors, skylights, and gable vents should be secured with shutters in order to prevent them from being damaged. As a part of our Professional emergency board up services we will install protective covering systems on your doors and windows in order to prevent wind, water and debris from entering your house. In case of a fire, these shutters will serve as protection from unauthorized entry.
Q: Should I Throw Away Food?
A: Food exposed can be compromised by three factors: heat, smoke fumes, and chemicals used to fight it.
Food in cans or jars may appear to be okay, but if they’ve been close to HEAT, they may no longer be safe.
Heat can activate food spoilage bacteria. If the heat is extreme, the cans or jars themselves can split or rupture, rendering the food unsafe.
One of the most dangerous elements are the TOXIC FUMES released from burning materials.
Those fumes can kill; they can also contaminate food. Any type of food stored in permeable packaging — cardboard, plastic wrap, etc. — should be thrown away. Toxic fumes can permeate the packaging and contaminate the food.
Discard any raw foods stored outside the refrigerator — such as potatoes or fruit — that could be contaminated by fumes.
Surprisingly, food stored in refrigerators or freezers can also become contaminated by fumes. The refrigerator seal isn’t airtight and fumes can get inside.
If food from your refrigerator has an off-flavor or odor when it’s prepared, throw it away.
Chemicals used to fight fires contain toxic materials and can contaminate food and cookware. The chemicals cannot be washed off the food.
Foods that are exposed to chemicals should be thrown away. This includes food stored at room temperature, such as fruits and vegetables, as well as foods stored in permeable containers like cardboard and screw-topped jars and bottles.
Canned goods and cookware exposed to chemicals can be decontaminated.
Wash in a strong detergent solution. Then dip in a bleach solution (1 tablespoon of unscented, liquid chlorine bleach per gallon of water) for 15 minutes.
Q: How can I Inspect my house Safely After The Disaster?
A: Dangers may still exist even after it was extinguished. Do not endanger yourself or your family. Keep children and pets away. Try to protect yourself and your family from stress, fatigue, and health hazards such as smoke and dust particles.
Follow these basic safety rules:
- Determine Structural Stability
- Check Power Supply
- Recheck The Property
- Wet Down Debris
- Discard Hazardous Material Safely
- Use protective gear
Q: How Fast Should I Start To Clean?
A: IICRC recommendations , Cleaning up soot residue must be done as quickly as possible. During combustion, soot residue and volatile vapors are carried by rising and expanding air to surfaces throughout a structure, and are deposited. This process occurs repeatedly until combustion ends, with soot residue building up on surfaces layer by layer. By the time restoration technicians arrive, lacquer-like soot residue may be quite difficult to dissolve and remove.
Q: Should I clean up Myself ?
A: It is recommended that you call us to clean but if not Before you start cleaning, hire a building or electrical inspector to check if the electric is safe for you to use. If the damage is severe, you should have your electric and gas disconnected until all repairs are made. If you are doing the clean up yourself, open all the windows. Be sure to wear gloves when cleaning. Start by throwing away anything that may attract mildew Use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner to soap up any water in the carpets.
Disinfect the entire area. Remove any wet clothing, wet draperies or any other wet fabrics. Wash what is salvageable in a strong detergent. Throw away the rest. Wash walls and ceilings in hot water and mild soap. If possible do this while they are sill wet. It is easier to clean and also will help keep mold and mildew from forming. If water seeped underneath your linoleum flooring, it is best to remove it. Leaving the linoleum with the water in between it and your wood flooring can cause warping and rot.
(Recommendation: Restoration requires inspection by qualified, licensed personnel, including building, electrical, gas and plumbing professionals. The training certifications achieved by BLR staff involve weeks of study and testing to become competent in these complex restorations. )
Q: Do you offer green products? Are they as effective as chemicals?
A: We choose products that are environmentally friendly for many reasons. Our experience is that ‘green’ products available today are equally effective compared to chemicals used in the past. ‘ Green’ is more than a fad and as you consider your family, pets and home it becomes a clear choice. Think about your home and how you want it treated.